Ciku Construction Services are vastly experienced in digging Shafts and Underpins. We rely on our highly trained operatives and management to produce high-quality work on-site, but we also put in place many checks to ensure consistently high standards of workmanship are achieved.
In construction or renovation, underpinning is the process of strengthening the foundation of an existing building or other structure. Underpinning is usually accomplished by extending the foundation in depth or in breadth so it either rests on a more supportive soil stratum or distributes its load across a greater area.
Underpinning may be necessary for a variety of reasons:
• The original foundation is simply not strong or stable enough
• The usage of the structure has changed
• The properties of the soil supporting the foundation may have changed (possibly through subsidence) or were mischaracterised during design
• The construction of nearby structures necessitates the excavation of soil supporting existing foundations
• To increase the depth or load capacity of existing foundations to support the addition of another storey to the building